Tribal Government
CSKT About Us CSKT  History & Culture CSKT  Services CSKT  Government CSKT  Employment CSKT  Tribal Resources CSKT  Visitor Information
Home - Government - Enrollment

Enrollment Office ...

The Office of Records Management/Enrollment is responsible for maintaining and updating the official records of the tribes, keeping the official individual files for the membership and their descendants and updating the files on a daily basis.  This includes, but is not limited to, resolutions and minutes from 1935 to present and files on 7,912 active members as well as the files of deceased members.  Other responsibilities include the dispersement of per capita checks, direct deposit, address changes, research, providing certificate of Indian Blood, official tribal ID’s to membership, notifying departments on per capita holds from previous payouts, and provide accounting with per capita check register for reconciliation, and presentations to council on membership applications for approval/disapproval.

Laurence Kenmille/ ORM/Enrollment Director, ext. 1085
Erma Haynes/ Assistant Director, ext. 1013
Kim Lawson/ Enrollment Researcher Assistant, ext. 1033
Chasity Haynes/ Office Manager, ext. 1351
Vacant/Receptionist, ext. 1014


  • BORN BETWEEN May 4, 1960 to Present (Ord.#35A)
  • Born to a member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes
  • 1/4  Salish and/or Kootenai Blood
  • No residency required
  • BORN BETWEEN Nov 24,1953 to May 4, 1960 (Ord. 18A)
  • Same as May 4, 1960 to Present, 
  • BORN BETWEEN Apr 3, 1951 to  Nov. 23, 1953 (Ord. 10A)
  • Born to a member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes
  • ¼ Indian Blood (all Indian blood counted)
  • No residency required
  • BORN BETWEEN June 20, 1946 to Apr. 2, 1953 (Ord. 4A)
  • Born to a member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes
  • 1/16 Indian Blood
  • No residency required, however, children must be enrolled within 10 yrs.
  • BORN BETWEEN 1935 AND MAY 4, 1960
    • Born to a member who is a resident of the Flathead Reservation
    • No minimum blood quantum
  • BORN PRIOR 1935 (AMENDED #1)
  • Born to a member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes
  • ¼ /Salish and/or Kootenai Blood
  • Maintain residency on the reservation for 5 consecutive years

Special Conditions existed for eligibility prior to May 4, 1960. Individuals maintained or retained their residency requirements if:

  • In the military and returned to the reservation after discharge (DD214 required)
  • In an educational institution or public institution
  • Employed in government service
  • Ill health. Doctors certificate stating cause and need for living off reservation


A birth certificate is the best proof of birth. It will legally establish the birth of a child and to whom. In the event that no birth certificate exists the following documents may be accepted at the discretion of the Council:

  1. Hospital, clinic, doctor's, or midwife's records
  2. Baptismal certificate
  3. Affidavits** signed by Doctor's, midwifes, nurses, relatives, or friends.


  1. certified copy of Death certificates
  2. Bureau records, especially probate records
  3. Mortuary records
  4. Funeral director's records
  5. Newspaper obituaries
  6. Hospital, clinic, or Doctor's records
  7. Affidavits** signed by Doctor's, midwifes, nurses, relatives, or friends
  8. Affidavits** signed by someone who attended the funeral, or who saw the grave marker and noted the date of death.

Marriage certificate issued by the state. Certified copies of marriage certificates can be obtained by writing to the County recorder in the County where the license was issued, or to the State Department of Vital Statistics. In the event that no marriage certificate exists the following documents may be accepted at the discretion of the Council:

  1. Affidavits signed by witnesses to a Tribal custom marriage
  2. Census records
  3. Divorce decree which is issued by a court of competent jurisdiction

If the father’s name is not on the birth certificate, the following documentation may be considered:

  1. A Court order stating who the biological parents are, which is issued by a court of competent jurisdiction
  2. A court order which obligates the individual to pay child support and with record of the payments attached
  3. a certified copy of a legal DNA test
  4. a paternity acknowledgement that is attached to the birth certificate. Paternity acknowledgements are only considered under the following guidelines:
    (a.) When the paternity acknowledgement has been signed and notarized within two (2) weeks after the birth of the child and submitted to the Department of Vital Statistics.
    (b.) hen the paternity acknowledgement is over sixty (60) days. The declaration for paternity has a sixty (60) day notice for parents to withdraw their acknowledgement, therefore, only and after sixty (60) days does it become a legal and binding document.

**Affidavits are signed, notarized statements that something is true. It is best to obtain affidavits from persons who have no direct interest in a question, but do have knowledge about it. Affidavits are useful forms of proof when no official records can be obtained, but their value is very limited. If affidavits must be used, and can be made by reliable persons, three affidavits may be considered acceptable proof. Affidavits should be from persons who were alive at the time and old enough at that time to have personal knowledge of the facts that are sworn to. Any other testimony is "hearsay" and therefore not acceptable. Affidavits should state when and where the person was born, and who the parents were. Where there is a question of paternity, this affidavit alone should not be used as evidence.


Bureau of Indian Affairs
Adoption Agencies
Bureaus of Vital Statistics
Historical Societies
Indian Health Service
Welfare Agencies
Museums/Library Archives
Elderly Tribal Members


Tribal Council
Tribal Council Offices
Judicial Offices
Law and Order
bullet Enrollment
bullet Application for Enrollment (PDF)
bullet Burial Beneficiary Policy (PDF)
bullet Burial Beneficiary Form (PDF)
bullet Direct Depost Form (PDF)
bullet Direct Deposit Removal Form (PDF)
bullet Relinquishment/ removal from CSKT Tribes - Minor (PDF)
bullet Relinquishment/ removal from CSKT Tribes - Adult (PDF)
bullet Minor per capita payee change (PDF)
bullet Research Request (PDF)

Home - Contact Us - Site Map