Victims Assistance Program ...
The CSKT Victim Assistance Program was formed by Tribal Council in 1995 to address and prevent domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking on the Flathead Reservation.
DOVES (Domestic Violence Education & Services) is a private, 501(c)(3) non-profit crime victim advocate organization located in Polson, Montana; DOVES is a “sister organization” to the CSKT Victim Assistance Program – providing support services for city, county and district courts.
SAFE Harbor is the area’s domestic violence shelter.
Based on the philosophy that domestic and sexual violence is intolerable and unacceptable, the staff of the CSKT Victim Assistance Program, DOVES and SAFE Harbor:
- provides culturally-sensitive services, free of charge, including advocacy and support to victims and their children who are in abusive situations;
- offers encouragement, support, and options that allow victims and survivors of domestic, sexual and other violent crimes to make informed decisions about their lives;
- strives to enhance the self-esteem of those we serve, and to encourage self determination by providing a respectful, supportive, and encouraging environment with positive role modeling; and
- offers public education on the dynamics and prevention of domestic and sexual violence.
Crime Victim Advocates can:
- Assist you with your application for an Order of Protection if you are a victim domestic abuse, partner/family member assault, sexual assault, rape, incest or stalking.
An Order of Protection is a civil court order, signed by a Judge, which prohibits someone who you fear from coming near you, to your residence, or workplace. It can prohibit that person from having any direct contact with you.
- Explain how the court process works
- find out information for you about what is happening in a criminal court case
- Provide peer crisis counseling, and emotional support and guidance
- Tell you about Crime Victim Compensation and help you fill out the forms
- Inform you of community services available to you
- Offer our ongoing support groups for women and their children
Services Provided by the CSKT Victim Assistance Program and DOVES...
- assistance in obtaining orders of protection
- peer crisis counseling
- information and referrals
- legal advocacy
- accompaniment to court proceedings
- free civil legal services for those who qualify
- personal advocacy
- financial assistance, including
- gas vouchers
- rent assistance
- grocery vouchers
- utility assistance
- clothing vouchers
- a toll-free 24-hour hotline
- support groups led by licensed therapists
- community training
We now have an Salish Kootenai College Outreach Advocate on staff at the CSKT Victim Assistance Program.
The CSKT Victim Assistance Program is located in the basement of the pink building just north of the QuickSilver gas station. An advocate may be reached by calling 675-2700, ext. 1194.